Comings and Goings
Specializing in Medical Aid in Dying
consultation, support and assistance for
patients and their families
Lori K. Goldwyn, M.S.
Serving the East Bay and Greater San Francisco Bay Area
What is an End of Life Doula?
- Modeled after the way birth doulas serve women and their partners before and during labor
- Uphold the belief that death and birth are natural and sacred parts of life and that everyone needs appropriate support during the process
- Bring greater comfort and deeper meaning to the dying and their loved ones
- Develop personalized guided visualization for symptom management and increased comfort
- Having a trusting, ongoing relationship with a neutral, caring and knowledgeable person can help ease the anxiety that often follows a terminal diagnosis
- Doulas “hold the space” to approach death as an emotional and spiritual—not a medical—experience for both the patient and family.
Why Hire an End of Life Doula?
- People have the right to decide on every aspect of their care at the end of their lives, and End of Life Doulas can help with decision-making based on the patient’s values.
- Help the dying person design a vigil plan based on their values, needs and wishes, as well as explore the meaning of their life and create a Legacy Project
- An End of Life Doula is especially helpful for patients who have no other family or friends nearby so they are accompanied during their dying time.
- Doulas work in conjunction with Hospice, supplementing and augmenting their services.
- I provide guidance, support and assistance when people with a terminal prognosis are considering end of life options, including Medical Aid in Dying